I usually make Shepherd’s Pie with leftover turkey and have also tried it with some leftover roasted chicken as well and it worked well.
This is a real family pleaser and our youngest child actually asks for this for dinner a lot so this time I tried it with uncooked chicken. I adapted the recipe from here making some minor adjustments.
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into thin pieces
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- Grated Cheddar
- Boil potatoes until tender.
- Mash potatoes with butter or margarine and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Saute onion, leek and garlic in olive oil until soft. Stir in chicken and saute, carrot, parsley, thyme and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add half a cup of water, cover sauteing pan and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in flour.
- Transfer meat mixture to a deep dish pie pan or casserole. Spread potatoes over meat, and swirl with a fork.
- Sprinkle with Cheddar Cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are lightly browned.